Wednesday 6 January 2016

The Metapost: The Deck and contributing to it

My name is Jyri Hämäläinen and I am a competitive Magic player and prospective judge from Jyväskylä, Finland. I have been actively playing Magic in tournaments since the autumn of 2012, though I was already familiar with the game from having played it briefly as a schoolkid around the turn of the millennium. I am known for a strong tendency to play small disruptive white creatures in all formats.

I got the idea for collecting destroyed magic cards from Cockatrice, where some American player mentioned in passing about his Commander deck built out of ruined cards. The idea appealed to me and I started asking around if people had amusing stories about ruined cards in my area. The response on mtgsuomi and various local and regional IRC channels was very positive, so I moved ahead with the project.

Since all of the cards in it are strictly illegal to play in all games of Magic, The Deck won't technically belong in any format. At first I will try to conform to the card pool of some sanctioned 60-card format. Which one it is depends on which kind of cards I first happen to get my hands on, since I accept cards printed in any product published under the Magic brand. All the cards I am currently expecting correspond to cards legal in Modern, but I strongly suspect that by the 60-card mark The Deck will be a Vintage deck. Even that might fail, if I find some un-cards with interesting histories.

If the number of cards available grows large enough I will likely update The Deck to some 100-card singleton format. I enjoy playing Highlander much more than Commander, but the inherent silliness of this project might match the The Spirit of EDH so much better that I will have to go outside of my comfort zone.

Lastly, if this blog happens to go viral at some point and my apartment becomes flooded with cardboard trash, I promise to turn The Deck into The Cube.


Cards can be sent to my address at

Jyri Hämäläinen
Tangokuja 4 A 23
40520 Jyväskylä
Finland

I accept all Magic cards that would be graded Destroyed, Poor or Heavily Played, though the worse and more unusual the damage is, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment